Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Changing face of marketing

I heard from an old friend today ....one I hadn't seen in 20 years.

All because of Facebook. Yes, I have finally joined the modern age and signed on to Facebook. Once the bastion of college and university students - and a few who were still clinging to youth - Facebook use is becoming prevalent even amoung old folks like me!

What does this mean for Facebook (other than the fact that the college students will start going elsewhere?!) And for those who market using the Internet?

Facebook is a non-commercial entity so marketers can't really capitalize on its success directly. That being said, Bill Sweetman recently tried an experiment recently that shows that the potential is there (http://www.sweetmantra.com/2007/07/my-facebook-coa.html).

The rapid growth and viral success of Facebook is however a lesson for all marketers.

Facebook works by getting people like me to actively want to:
  1. Tell other people and encourage their participation
  2. Come back regularly (I have to come back to the site whenever someone sends me a note/tags me in a photo etc.)
  3. Self-segment by joining groups and inviting others to join.
  4. Provide information.
  5. Interact within communities.

If only every Web site had that power over its visitors....of course, noone would get any work done but still.....

No comments: