Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Do you do CRM?

For a long time, I have debated whether to use the term CRM (Customer Relationship Management) in my marketing materials - the acronym has been so closely associated with the technology - and so many different types of technology - that I am always afraid that I will start getting questions about whether to buy ACT!

I notice thatEurope's www.CRM-Forum.com has rebranded recently and is now www.MyCustomer.com

Do you use the term in your organization?

If so, is it used to refer to a business project? An IT one? A piece of technology? All of of these?
If not, why not?

I have consciously stayed away from it for two primary reasons:

1) Everyone has a different definition of what it is.....case and point, this week I had two calls using the term ...with very different meanings "My sales people input data into the CRM" and "Our CRM steering committee is looking at change management issues"

2) There have been too many articles on the failure of CRM.

Is it time to retire CRM for good? If so, what replaces it? Customer-centricity? CVM?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like most acronyms "CRM" became a sexy way for people who had no idea what they were doing to feel part of something new and exciting. It sounds good in a presentation and since there is no universal definition it is pretty hard to argue against the value of someone's CRM program since they can define it however they want.

I for one would like to see the term abolished for good. RIP CRM